Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron,

> I wonder if the fastest way to generate the configurator
> would be to simply ask everyone to post their tuned
> postgresql.conf files along with a brief description of
> the use case for that file.  The we could group the
> use-cases into various classes; and average the values
> of the submitted files.  Then the configurator's one
> question "choose which use case most closely matches
> yours from this list".

This has been proposed a number of times, but is still infeasable for the
simple reason that a lot of settings are dependant on how much RAM you have
on the machine.  "Sample configs" would just result in people trying to set
their shared_buffers to 150% of system RAM if they have a lightweight system,
or in having 500 different sample configurations, which would produce even
*more* user confusion.

A generator makes more sense.

--
Josh Berkus