Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday 02 June 2008 10:12:06 Tom Lane wrote:
> I have no objection to providing alternative ways to edit the
> configuration data, but the primary source of the settings is
> going to continue to be an editable text file.  Any proposals for
> alternatives-to-a-text-editor have to work within that reality.

I think there is some disagreement that using text files needs to be
the "primary" way to edit configurations.  Some people are of the opinion
that we should focus on text files as a secondary method, generally to be
used only when a more sql/gui oriented way wont work (ie. your shared buffer
restart scenario).  I think most of the user base would like to approach
administration from that point-of-view, and as of yet I haven't seen a
technical reason why that world view is wrong, only philosphical ones.

--
Robert Treat