Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 May 2008 23:02:56 -0400 Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >

> >> Well, yes, but you do know about archive_timeout, right? No need to wait
> >> 2 hours.
> >>

> > Then you ship 16 MB binary stuff every 30 second or every minute but
> > you only have some kbyte real data in the logfile. This must be taken
> > into account, especially if you ship the logfile over the internet
> > (means: no high-speed connection, maybe even pay-per-traffic) to the
> > slave.
> >

> Sure there's a price to pay. But that doesn't mean the facility doesn't
> exist. And I rather suspect that most of Josh's customers aren't too
> concerned about traffic charges or affected by such bandwidth
> restrictions. Certainly, none of my clients are, and they aren't in the
> giant class. Shipping a 16Mb file, particularly if compressed, every
> minute or so, is not such a huge problem for a great many commercial
> users, and even many domestic users.

Sumitomo Electric Co., Ltd., a 20 billion dollars selling company in
Japan (parent company of Sumitomo Electric Information Systems Co.,
Ltd., which is one of the Recursive SQL development support company)
uses 100 PostgreSQL servers. They are doing backups by using log
shipping to another data center and have problems with the amount of
the transferring log data. They said this is one of the big problems
they have with PostgreSQL and hope it will be solved in the near
future.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan