Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:58:31AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Publishing the XIDs back to the master is one possibility.  We
> > also looked at using "spillover segments" for vacuumed rows, but
> > that seemed even less viable.
> >
> > I'm also thinking, for *async replication*, that we could simply
> > halt replication on the slave whenever a transaction passes minxid
> > on the master.  However, the main focus will be on synchrounous
> > hot standby.
>
> Another idea I discussed with Tom is having the slave _delay_
> applying WAL files until all slave snapshots are ready.

Either one of these would be great, but something that involves
machines that stay useless most of the time is just not going to work.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!