Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:26:46PM +0200, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> It seems this wiki is fetching all Planet PostgreSQL content and adding
> anything to their own wiki - without even a link back to planet.
> Any planet link is rewritten to match the wiki structure.
> The PG planet is not the only website in question, they fetch much more
> blogs: http://zeitgeist.swik.net/  http://swik.net/?randomproject
> In addition they change any license to: "All original text is available
> as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike".

It isn't clear that they're actually relicensing in that case, because
they may mean "stuff we wrote" when they say "original text".

One problem is that there's no license posted anywhere I can see on
planetpostgresql (which is fine, since it's an aggregator) or on many
of the underlying blogs.

In any case, even if what they're doing is not against some license,
it's at least impolite.  I'd ask them to stop.

It also undermines the attempt by the community to unify its message,
basically by subsuming it under their own project.  I think that's not cool.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/