Re: New DTrace probes proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: New DTrace probes proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 18 May 2008 03:18:13 Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2008, Robert Lor wrote:
> > I'd like to propose adding the following probes (some of which came from
> > Simon) to 8.4.
>
> There's also a big DTrace probe set patch available from OmniTI:
> https://labs.omniti.com/project-dtrace/trunk/postgresql/
> http://labs.omniti.com/trac/project-dtrace/wiki/Applications#PostgreSQL
>
> I don't know if you've looked at that before.  There's some overlap but
> many unique and handy probes to each set.  I think it would be nice to
> consider a superset union of the two.  I would guess OmniTI would be glad
> to have their set assimilated into core as well so they don't have to
> maintain their patch past 8.3; hopefully Theo or Robert will chime in on
> that.

<chime>We've had it in the back of our minds to submit the patch set for 8.4,
just hadn't gotten around to it. As we've started to see some 3rd party
uptake of the set, it might be better to get something in sooner rather than
later, so yes, we'd be happy to see the patch set adopted upstream.</chime>

--
Robert Treat
Database Architect