Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: WIP: Pg_upgrade - page layout converter (PLC) hook
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek,

> Unfortunately, this approach does not work between layout 3 and 4. It
> works only for heap on platfrom with maxallign=4.
>
> The main problem is that PageHeader has been extended to 24 bytes and it
> requires reindexing, TOAST chunk resizing, converted tuples does not fit
> on page on platform where maxallign=8.
>
> I'm now working on offline conversion method.

Hmmm.  I thought we determined earlier that the use case for *offline*
binary conversion was rather limited.  It would have to be 10x faster than
dump/reload to be worthwhile.  Do you think this is possible?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun