Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date
Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
List pgsql-patches
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >> Please review the previous discussion:
> >>
> >> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1200851790.19135.68.camel%40greg-laptop
> >
> > OK, I just read the thread and saw no one say we should be promoting
> > _only_ 'help' in the startup banner.  Where is that email discussion?
> >

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg01476.php
>
> And most specifically:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg01376.php

Ah, OK.  I had forgotten.  Here is the new output:

    $ sql test
    psql (8.4devel)   Type "help" for help.

    test=> help

    You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
            \h or \help for SQL help
            \? for psql help
            \q to quit psql

            \copyright to view the copyright

    test=> \?
    General
      \copyright     show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
      \g [FILE] or ; send query buffer to server (and results to file or |pipe)
      \h [NAME]      help on syntax of SQL commands, * for all commands
      \q             quit psql

    Query Buffer
      \e [FILE]      edit the query buffer (or file) with external editor

I moved '\g' up into the "General" section rather than make it a
single-entry section.