Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
There's another serious usability problem here, which is that the pager
ability is not being used correctly.  Consider the \df+ tg_* query I
used as example for another bug report.  psql says that it is 27 rows; I
have my window taller than that (47 lines right now), yet the output is
actually *a lot* longer than 27 rows (598 lines), due to the embedded
newlines in the functions source.  Yet the pager is not used, and so the
whole thing scrolls past.

Also: someone else said that if the pager mode is "auto", then the pager
should be used not only when the output is _longer_ than the screen, but
also if it's _wider_.  I agree with that.