Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> [080509 14:43]:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Brendan Jurd escribió:
> >> I for one would definitely like backslash commands with very wide
> >> output to be wrapped by default.
> >
> > (At least) one place where I would not like it is in \df+, because
> > wrapped function output would be more difficult to read.
> >

> I am a bit conflicted about wrapping on \df.  I agree that wrapped
> function code is difficult to read, but what we've got now is
> difficult to read too.  Which of the two is more difficult is really a
> matter of personal taste.  I guess with \df you have to accept that
> it's always going to be ugly, unless you have a very wide terminal (or
> very short function definitions!).

Isn't that what $PAGER is for?

$PAGER is the main reason why *I* don't want the wrapped format.

a.
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,