Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Updated patch with clearer documentation that matches the above
> behavior:
>
>     ftp://momjian.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/wrap

I found a bug in my patch, particularly related to wrapping to pipes.
Turns out if psql uses the pager internally:
\pset format wrapped
SELECT 1, 2, repeat('a', 80), repeat('b', 80),  E'a\nb\nc\nd', 1FROM generate_series(1,50);

it does not wrap to the screen width because of our default behavior of
not wrapping pipe output by default.  I had to add an is_pager boolean
parameter to print_aligned_text().  (I tried passing is_pager via
printTableOpt but it is a const.)

I have updated the ftp URL to fix this.

One item not addressed is that the 'wrapped' format wrapping could force
output off the page without the pager being used if it is _near_ a full
screen before wrapping.  Of course we don't consider additional lines
that wrap by extending past the right margin for non-wrapped mode, so
perhaps it is OK.

http://enterprisedb.com