Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian escribió:

> Have a 'format=auto' mode that does aligned/wrapped/expanded, but only
> for screen output --- file/pipe would still use aligned.  And have
> 'format=wrapped' affect file/pipe by requiring the user to specify the
> width, or use a default of 72.

I have a different question.  Why are we mixing file and pipe output?  I
think the use cases are different and perhaps we should use different
defaults.

For example, most people I've seen writing shell scripts involving psql
output have to pass the -A flag all the time.  Perhaps we could change
the default output to unaligned for pipes?