Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Trying to join the two decisions means that nobody will be happy. If you ssh
> > in you won't get wrapped format, if you redirect to a file and specify wrapped
> > format explicitly you'll be frustrated that you're still not getting it. And
> > if you do want those things so you \pset columns you'll find it starts doing
> > it even when you -f file.dmp -- which doesn't seem bad to me but it means it
> > isn't satisfying your desires.
>
> I think we need to honor $COLUMNS if ioctl() fails.

Clarification, honor $COLUMNS if ioctl() fails but only for interactive
mode.

If we can't make everyone happy we could just not add the patch.  It
sounds crazy but we have had cases in the past where we couldn't get
concensus and we did nothing.  Of course nothing is usually worse than
either option but groups behave in strange ways sometimes.

http://enterprisedb.com