Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Donnerstag, 24. April 2008 schrieb Gregory Stark:
> b) If you dump to a file it will still respect COLUMNS. This might be a bit
>    weird since bash sets COLUMNS so your file width will be based on the
> size of your terminal. But people also do things like COLUMNS=120 psql -o f

Well, the feature is labeled "psql wraps at window width".  If the output
isn't on a window, then it shouldn't wrap.  I certainly don't want the output
to a file to depend on the size of the window at the time.

Perhaps having a variable inside psql to control this explicitly could be
useful for the case you describe.