Re: WIP: psql default banner patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: WIP: psql default banner patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:47:32 +1000
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Joshua D. Drake  wrote:
> >  Sure. What did you think about Andrew's suggestion?
>
> I think it's cool; allowing the version to be added to a custom psql
> prompt is a nice feature, regardless of how we go with the banner.
> I'd still like to see the version numbers in the banner in all cases
> though =)
>
> For my usage patterns, once per session is often enough to be reminded
> of the versions.  Once per statement (as you'd get from having it in
> the prompt) would be overkill.

O.k. I am not really arguing strongly one way or the other. This is
more an educational exercise for me. However, as someone who is
constantly on dozens of postgresql versions every day, I honestly fail
to see the benefit here.  I get that you "like" the idea, what I don't
get is the appreciable benefit to having the version in a matching
system. What do I gain by knowing that I attached to 8.2.4 of psql with
8.2.6 of postgresql?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake