Re: Unacceptable postgres performance vs. Microsoft sqlserver - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: Unacceptable postgres performance vs. Microsoft sqlserver
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:30:15 +0100
Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> "Ivan Sergio Borgonovo" <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
>
> > But why once you add the index and count distinct the performances
> > are still so far?
> > I'd say that counting in this case is not the hardest thing to do,
> > but rather the "distinct" part.
>
> Your tests have been a bit unfortunate in finding a few
> particularly soft bits in Postgres's underbelly.

While I digest the interesting things you wrote... are there any
comparative benchmark on count(*) with where clauses?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it