Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> A smaller lesson was that you can't start fest without a queue of
> ready-to-work-on patches.  We seem to be evolving towards a plan
> where stuff gets dumped onto the wiki page more or less immediately
> as it comes in.  That should take care of that problem, though I'd
> still like to see someone accept responsibility for making sure
> patches get listed whether or not their author does it.
>
> Other lessons that were already brought up:
> * Bruce's mbox page was not a good status tool, despite his efforts
>   to improve it;
> * If Bruce and I are the only ones doing anything, it's gonna be slow.

Even after the wiki was setup there was still limited involvement in
patch application except for me and Tom.  The wiki is going to allow
people to see more easily what is outstanding, but it doesn't seem to
have translated into more people involved in finishing the commit fest.

Humorously, it is like televising a football game --- more people watch,
but it doesn't help the players on the field.  :-(

http://enterprisedb.com