Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd escribió:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera  wrote:
> >  As far as the Wiki page is concerned, it would be good to make sure the
> >  entries have a bit more info than just a header line -- things such as
> >  "author", who reviewed and what did the reviewer say about it.
>
> In a wiki context, this sort of thing has got "Template" written all
> over it.  I've done a little editing on Wikipedia, so I've got some
> idea about how to make wiki Templates work.  I'm not claiming to be an
> expert, but if nobody else has a particular yen for it, I can have a
> go at setting up some simple templates to make it easier to add a
> "patch" or a "review" in a structured way.

Please have a go at it in a test page.  The main principle we need is
that the thing must be as easy as possible to edit.  (FWIW if you can
come up with a better markup than what we currently use, we'd welcome
the advise.)

> >  Lastly, I would say that pushing submitters to enter their sent patches
> >  into the Wiki worked -- we need to ensure that they keep doing it.
>
> +1.  Although I wouldn't say that there has yet been a "push" for
> submitters to enter their patches into the wiki =)

Well, I pushed some authors via private email.  Others did not seem to
need any pushing :-)

> I've started adding my own patches to the wiki recently.  The only
> thing about the process that sucks is that I need a URL linking to the
> message in the archives.  I naturally want to add my patch to the wiki
> immediately after sending my email to -patches, and it takes some
> material interval of time for messages to show up on the archive.  My
> solution was to just pull the message ID out of the headers in gmail
> and fudge the URL.

Right, that's the way I use them too.  Sorry we don't have anything
better :-(  The archives are refreshed every 10 minutes, so it's not
like you need to wait for a week, either.

Of course, I've configured my email client so that Message-Ids are shown
all over the place, so I don't have to mess around clicking stuff.