Re: The default text search configuration will be set to "simple" ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: The default text search configuration will be set to "simple" ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>>> properly. What operating-system (and version) are you running, and
>>> what version of PG, and did you compile it from source or get it
>>> elsewhere?
>>
>> I am running 10.5, on a MacPro. Postgres version 8.3.1 and got it from
>> macports.
>>
>> A bit ago, in my many attempts to get postgres & postgis running on
>> 10.5, I added this to the .bash_profile:
>>
>> adding to .bash_profile:
>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8; export LANG
>> export PATH="/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin:$PATH"
>
> Hmm - very strange. Your LANG setting seems sensible, and I did
> something similar on my Mac to get subversion to work. It could be that
> the postgres user-account isn't importing these settings, but it
> certainly seemed to get time/money/etc correct.

It does make certain sense -- after all, LC_CTYPE is not worried about
country or language issues but only about encoding specifics.  My
locale(7) manpage says

       LC_CTYPE
              This  changes the behavior of the character handling and classifi-
              cation functions, such  as  isupper(3)  and  toupper(3),  and  the
              multi-byte character functions such as mblen(3) or wctomb(3).

On my system, though, locale does report the full locale, not just
encoding, when I change LANG.