Re: mac ports question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: mac ports question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Tom Allison wrote:

> I ran into a problem today where somewhere my port of postgresql82 just
> stopped working.  I'm largely an idiot on Mac because I use is as a
> workstation/development box and do most of the real system related work
> on my debian boxes.
>
> But I don't know how to get the port working again.
>
> Then I saw there is a new version 8.3 in port.
>
> So, if I upgrade does anyone know if this cleanly removes version 8.2
> from the box so I don't have to start carrying multiple versions?

It won't remove 8.2 automatically. You'd have to ask port to deactivate
and uninstall it. Unfortunately, you may find it complains about
dependencies when you do that.

Are you using the server as well, or just the client components? If the
server, AFAIK it also won't try to do any database migration, which
probably isn't a huge problem on a dev system, but could be.