Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Date
Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:49:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > Re: compulsively attempting to comply with every law everywhere,
> > let's recall that a certain Search! engine company managed to get
> > itself in a morally pretty reprehensible spot by "following the
> > laws" of an oppressive regime.  We needn't do the same.
>
> We aren't actually doing any such thing.  We are just making sure
> that our distribution is split up in such a way that if someone
> *else* needs to comply with such a law, it's not impractical to do
> so.

That cat is already out of the bag with every Linux distribution.
There's just no point in our going three sides around the square in
order to have someone, somewhere claim that our tarball isn't
violating their law.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!