Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 09:12:54AM -0600, Pettis, Barry wrote:
> I guess the biggest problem is trying to describe something in terms
> that all can understand.  On a forum like this most "CONTRIBUTORS" those
> who answer questions speak a language that the typical novice poster
> doesn't use or understand.  So when the question is posed there is a
> disconnect between poster and responder.  So I'm hoping that I've been
> able to adequately clear the air.  If not it's always fun to try.

I think a large part of the problem comes from mixing technical terms
(that have *highly* specific meanings) with normal prose.  I have a
feeling that when you say "database" you're in fact referring to what
every database admin/developer would know as a "table" (or "relation"),
but I'm not sure.  A "relationship" also has a specific technical
meaning and it may be worth having a look in a technical reference to
ensure you're using the term in the way that we will interpret it.  A
"link" in Access is generally referred to as a "join", but again I'd
recommend finding out what this word means before using it too much as,
again, it has a very specific technical meaning.  However in Access
you can perform a "Link Tables..." command which is what you may be
describing, based upon the remainder of your description I doubt it
though.

  Sam