Re: Reuse serial numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From nobs@nobswolf.info (Emil Obermayr)
Subject Re: Reuse serial numbers?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:17:51AM +0000, A B wrote:
> Oh, I just thought of having a boolean field for indicating usage...I
> don't know if it will be more efficient. But as a novice... I think
> that will be sufficient.

Efficiency is alway a point of course. But you have to keep track of
your field and you create a redundant data structure. You might run into
inconsistancy with it.

"My" solution is self-consistant, not redundant and you don't need write
operations during seeking for the fre entry. So maybe its even more
efficient.