Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:25:04 +0100
Zdeněk Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Please let us know your meaning,

I hope it is the right place where to post.

> 1) What type of names do you prefer?
> c) new one with pg prefix - pgcreatedb, pgcreateuser ...

I'd like the idea of having one command + action as in
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00025.php
and yeah I read the follow-up and Tom's comments on psql -c
but still
- maybe a pg[something] action may be better integrated with
bash auto-completion without rewriting a sql parser
- you could still have man pg[something]
- it may simplify inputting passwords
- it separates admin tasks from "sql coding"

> 2) How often do you use these tools?

> a) every day (e.g. in my cron)

> 3) What name of initdb do you prefer?

> d) pg_ctl -d <dir> init  (replace initdb with pg_ctl new
> functionality)

+ someone on the list pointed out consistency with 1)

AND ;)

> e) What is initdb? My start/stop script does it
> automatically.

> 4) How do you perform VACUUM?

> c) autovacuum

my 0.2 €