Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:28:37 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> > I still find impressing that Google uses MySQL... I can guess why,

> What makes you so sure Google don't use PostgreSQL *as well*?

I'm not sure... in fact I never excluded they could use pg for other
stuff... They may use it for collecting payment, counting # of
ads/click trough etc...

> (hint: we don't force them to tell you about it...)

So... MySQL forced Google to tell everyone?

I think the field of application is pretty different.
I'm speculating...
They should have a "narrow" task, they shouldn't be interested in
coherency/integrity... just on HA etc...

Still I'd be curious to know if people can scale pg to several
hundreds(?) machines without loosing the features that differentiate
it from other DB...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it