Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:08:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej.groups@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 14/03/2008, rrahul <rahul.rathi@cognizant.com> wrote:
> >> I see Mysql bosting for Google,Yahoo, Alcatel......
> >> What about Postgres the list is not that impressive.
>
> > What then?  Could it be marketing or the sad results of a avalanche
> > effect? Geee, there's a thought.
>
> Marketing.  Remember that MySQL AB have a strong financial incentive to
> make organized efforts to locate and publicize impressive-sounding users
> of MySQL. (I've heard rumors they even give licensing discounts to
> companies that will let their names be used like that.)

Of course they do. All commercial companies do. It's called marketing. (I
know JD is going to say he doesn't. So ok, change that to almost all
commercial companies do)

Ever heard of Microsoft? Best way to get a 95% discount? That's about it..

//Magnus