encoding problems - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Cliff Nieuwenhuis
Subject encoding problems
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm not sure how to ask this question.  I have written a function, and with
PostgreSQL 8.0.13 I can do a "\df+" and see something like this under Source
Code:

    DECLARE
        result text;
    BEGIN
        result := (SELECT SUBSTRING(fname FROM 1 FOR 1) ||
                        SUBSTRING(mname FROM 1 FOR 1) ||
                        SUBSTRING(lname FROM 1 FOR 1)
                        FROM employees WHERE id = empid);
        RETURN result;
    END;

If I create the same function on my computer running PostgreSQL 8.3.0 and try
the \df+ then the Source Code shows:

\x09DECLARE

\x09\x09result text;
                                                                                                   :
\x09
                                                                                                   :
\x09BEGIN
                                                                                                   :
\x09\x09result := (SELECT SUBSTRING(fname FROM 1 FOR 1) ||
                                                                                                   :
\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09SUBSTRING(mname FROM 1 FOR 1) ||
                                                                                                   :
\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09SUBSTRING(lname FROM 1 FOR 1)
                                                                                                   :
\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09FROM employees WHERE id = empid);
                                                                                                   :
\x09\x09RETURN result;
                                                                                                   :
\x09END;

I've tried changing the database encoding and some other things, but can't
seem to fix this.