Re: PHPs PDO, apache and "never ending sessions" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PHPs PDO, apache and "never ending sessions"
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:01:11 +1300
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej.groups@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure whether this is the right place to ask (probably isn't)
> but I've seen much mention of PHP and some of PDO on this
> list ...
>
> I'm currently playing with the above, today I got a message
> "FATAL:  connection limit exceeded for non-superusers"
> even though there were no sessions I was aware of open.
>
> A bit of poking around with ps and lsof showed me that a PHP
> application I closed days ago (no browser open) was still active
> tying up backend sessions;  the problem went away when I
> restarted my apache.  Is this "normal behaviour"?  How do I
> deal with it under normal circumstance, am I just supposed
> to increase the number of allowed connections and not worry
> about apache holding sessions open even after the "client"
> has long gone?

It depends on how you are connecting. For example if you are doing this:

PDO::ATTR_PERSISTENT => true

Then... yeah :). You really shouldn't use a language layer for
persistent connections though. Use pgbouncer or pgpool.

Joshua D. Drake

> Versions of products in question:
> apache2 2.2.8 (Unix)
> PHP 5.2.5
> postgres 8.3
>

> Cheers,
> Andrej

- --
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit