Re: Patch review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Patch review
Date
Re: Patch review  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:

> so.... I went to look for the held patches queue to start reviewing patches.
> There are over 2000 messages in the queue in 300 separate threads. At that
> rate it would probably be just as easy to scan the patches and hackers mailing
> list.

Pretty unwieldy, yes.  I'm not sure -patchers of -hackers is really
"just as easy" though.

> Is someone working on dumping the list into a table on the wiki? I could
> download the mbox files from the web site and filter them into a table.
>
> Some part of me thinks this data should be in a postgres database so I can do
> SQL queries against it to find a good patch to review.

It's hard to put this stuff in a database.  Truth is that it's highly
unstructured.

IMHO an mbox is not the right interface either, though.  I guess there
must be something in the middle, like a *cough*patch manager*cough*.  At
least there should be a way to mark patches: a "is this a patch" (or
merely discussion) boolean; and a free-form field where other people can
make comments.  Well, I guess that's what Review Board is for.  I think
we should start asking patch submitters to load their patches on RB.