Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Harald Fuchs wrote:

> This works fine in 8.2.4, but 8.3.0 rejects the ALTER TABLE with the
> following (somewhat misleading) error message:
>
>   ERROR:  insert or update on table "t2" violates foreign key constraint "t2_t1id_fk"
>   DETAIL:  Key (t1id)=(t1id1) is not present in table "t1".

If the types were considered not comparable, you should have gotten a
message to that effect rather than a not present message. More to the
point that comparison should have succeeded I think. What do the following
give?

select * from t1 where id=CAST('t1id1' as VARCHAR(5));

select * from ONLY t2 fk LEFT OUTER JOIN ONLY t1 pk ON
 (pk.id = fk.t1id) WHERE pk.id IS NULL;