Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le dimanche 03 février 2008, Greg Smith a écrit :
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > I think what he means by "bitemporal" is what CJ Date, et al., refer to
> > as "fully temporal" (as opposed to semi-temporal), that is, dealing with
> > time intervals rather than time points.
>
> >> I would suggest a book called "Temporal Data and the Relational Model",
> >> by C. J. Date, Hugh Darwen and Nikos A Lorentzos to anyone who's
> >> interested in temporal issues.
>
> I think you need to be familiar with the work set down in both that one
> and the Snodgrass/Jensen "Developing Time-Oriented Database Applications
> in SQL" before you can even start do anything that's actually new in this
> area.  Bitemporal tables show up early in that book (P44 of the PDF
> http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/rts/tdbbook.pdf )

I found the following document quite useful to grasp the concepts involved, it
allowed me to decide whether I needed bitemporal feature or not (was not) :) http://rueping.info/doc/Andreas Rüping --
2DHistory.pdf

Hope this helps, regards,
--