Re: PostgreSQL Certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 01:14:23 +0100
Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul@postgresqlfr.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> What would it mean for a company to be certified?
>
> > I'd hope it'd mean that I can have some degree of confidence
> > hiring that organization for Postgresql support.  No?

I think we are having a terminology here. The term you are looking for,
at least in the US is Partner. RH does this, a certain partner level
can only be achieved if you have a specified number of RHCE's on staff.

> Thats my point. A "PostgreSQL Certified Company" is just about a
> brillant button on a company's web page, or a stamp on any commercial,
> "certifying" the company has knowledge in PostgreSQL and has prooved
> it has one.
>
> I think a company could be "Certified" when it hires a certain number
> of PostgreSQL "certified" individuals.

Yes this is a potential, to have qualified companies reach a status
within the community where they are recognized.

I believe that we need to take one step at a time. The priority
here is to build a certification for our community. Our community
primarily contains people, not companies. We certainly can address the
company if the community feels this is a good thing.

However, let's keep focus everything will evolve as it should.

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment