Re: Best way to index IP data? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Best way to index IP data?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:19:51AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Given that the world is going to IPv6 in a few years whether you like it
> or not, that seems pretty darn short-sighted to me.

Indeed.  Even ARIN has finally started to tell people that IPv4 is running
out.  There are currently significant deployments of IPv6 in the
Asia-Pacific region.  And it appears that Comcast is planning to move to
IPv6 for its own network deployment, which may mean that many U.S. homes
will have native v6 in the near future (the upshot of their plans aren't
actually clear to me yet, but if you're interested in some of what they're
telling people they're doing, look for Alain Durand's presentation to the
v6ops working group at the last IETF meeting).

> What would make sense IMHO is to adapt the improved indexing support in
> ip4r to work on the native inet/cidr types.

This seems like a good idea to me.