BUG #3859: version designation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Speck
Subject BUG #3859: version designation
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3859
Logged by:          Peter Speck
Email address:      speck@vitality.dk
PostgreSQL version: 8.3RC1
Operating system:   any
Details:

Version 8.3 has huge improvements for users over 8.0/8.1/8.2: full text
search, xml data type, etc.

To avoid the Linux syndrome of never getting to 3.0, I ask you to reconsider
the version number for this release.

PostgreSQL would get much more free PR if you call it 9.0 instead of 8.3

This makes PostgreSQL an easier sell to our bosses and customers; an
important aspect which should not be ignored.  This PR is needed to be taken
seriously as many decision makers cannot see the technical improvements, but
only the progression in version numbers.  Keeping the version number at 8.3
gives them the impression of stagnation (no matter how untrue it is).