Re: Spoofing as the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:38:13 -0500
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> >  - 1:  How does the client assure that the postmaster is legit
> >  - 2:  How does the postmaster assure that the client is legit
>
> And neither answers the original problem:

Which seems to have been lost in the noise.

> 3. How can the sysadmin prevent a malicious local user from hijacking
> the sockets if the postmaster isn't running?

A better way of stating it for sure.

> Prevention is much more valuable than ex post detection, IMNSHO.
>
> Probably the first answer is not to run postgres on a machine with
> untrusted users, but that's not always possible. Maybe we can't find a
> simple cross-platform answer, but that doesn't mean we should not look
> at platform-specific answers, at least for documentation.

Yes, that's what I said at the start of this discussion.  If you don't
trust the users with actual access to the box, the rest of this is
pretty much academic.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves