Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:58:11PM +0100, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:
> Wouldn't one very substantial requirement of such storage be to
> have it independent of db version, or even db product? Keeping
> old hardware and software around can be quite expensive.

This was one of the explicit requirements I had when I wrote my pie in the
sky outline.  Hrm.  I wonder if I can get permission to post it.  Let me
find out.

The requirement was, anyway, that we be able to read old versions of
"archived" rows.  IIRC there was an implementation choice, whether we would
_never_ allow such rows to be SET READ WRITE or whether they'd be
immediately upgraded to the present format on SET READ WRITE.