Re: Document how to turn off disk write cache on popular operating - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Document how to turn off disk write cache on popular operating
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 10:09:51AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > If you set it to fsync or fsync_writethrough it will write through the
> > cache.
>
> Really?  How much should we trust that?

I'd say as much as we shuold trust that checkbox in the Windows settings
page...

I haven't come across a case yet where it doesn't work, but that doesn't
mean there isn't one. It certainly writes through the writeback cache of
shiny expensive raid controllers :-) And it does write through the IDE
drives that I've tested.

Bottom line is, I think that the cases where fsync_writethrough doesn't do
it, that checkbox isn't going to work either....

//Magnus