Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 10:30:47PM +0100, Pascal Cohen wrote:
> I am facing a probably very common problem. I made a search in the
> recent archives and could find many posts related to my issue. But I did
> not get exactly "the answer" to my question.

No, and I doubt you will.

> But I don't know how to chose a solution. I don't have much experience
> and can't see precisely the advantages and the drawbacks of each solution.

That's because, quite frankly, it's hard to answer that question in general.
You have to answer it under your circumstances.  Since you're the one who
knows those, you'll have to do the answering, I'm afraid.  This probably
means "do some tests".

> And why should I chose Slony instead of Log-shipping to update the slaves ?

This is a good example (and the only thing in your list I feel comfortable
talking about): if you think that you might find it handy to be able to
query the replicas, use Slony, because you can't do it with log shipping
(yet).