Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 01:22:31PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> or a scapegoat. Please don't perpetuate this urban myth. No companies are
> suing Oracle and Microsoft because of their products, and companies have
> no expectation of doing so. It might be nice if they did, and some theorize

Indeed, by using the product, companies have explicitly given up the right
to sue over it.  This is the main point of the EULA of most products, and is
one of the strangest things about the computer industry.  No other industry
can get away with producing shoddy products that endanger others, and induce
its users to give up the right to sue in case that shoddiness causes
problems.

The jurisprudence in this area is extremely uneven, too.

But if you think you could sue Oracle Corp -- or even complain on a public
list about how their software ate your data -- and win that fight, I think
you need to have a long talk with your corporate counsel :)

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke