Re: HD is flooded by Error Log info - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: HD is flooded by Error Log info
Date
Re: HD is flooded by Error Log info  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:20:30PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> - pg_log file archiving when we reach a certain volume/number of logs

IMO, by the time we get that complicated, admins need to start doing some
work.  That is, I think, work that should be nowhere near the main
PostgreSQL code.  If someone wants to set up a foundry project for nice
crontab suggestions and Windows scheduler suggestions (however that works),
that'd be rather another matter.

> - ability to set limits on the number of messages a single backend can
> emit within a certain time period.

Please, no.  That sounds like a way to suppress useful error messages when
something Really Bad is happening.  As it happens, that's when the flood of
messages is most important.

The general tone in this thread sounds like, "I don't have time to
administer this; help me."  Providing such help is a bad idea.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke