Re: String encoding during connection "handshake" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From sulfinu@gmail.com
Subject Re: String encoding during connection "handshake"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure how that's supposed to solve the client
> authentication issue though.  Demanding that clients present auth data
> in UTF-8 is no different than demanding they present it in the
> encoding it was entered in originally...
Oh no, it's a big difference: PREDICTABILITY!
Why must I guess the encoding used by the administrator? What if he's Chinese?
Instead, I know the cluster's encoding, just as I know the server name and
the TCP port. And the connection handshake carries on without
misunderstandings (read wrong encoding).