Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexandru Cârstoiu
Subject Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm not a developper, but it occured to me that you should consider dropping
the support for client-server wire protocol v2.
I quote a comment I found in JDBC driver's code:
 // NOTE: To simplify this code, it is assumed that if we are       // using the V3 protocol, then the database is at
least7.4.  That       // eliminates the need to check database versions and maintain       // backward-compatible code
here.      //       // Change by Chris Smith <cdsmith@twu.net>

This tells me that the v3 protocol appeared at 7.4, so there's no need to
support v2 in future database versions (starting with 8.3?). It would
simplify code in interfaces like JDBC too.