Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Avoiding upgrade backlash - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date
List pgsql-docs
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > If it is that big an issue why are we not getting more problem reports
> > from beta testers?
>
> Most people don't beta test further most people don't test (you know this).
>
> My customers aren't going to be an issue obviously. What I am worried
> about is the backlash from those who like to do this:
>
> Ohhhh 8.3 is out.
> Upgrade
> WTH just happen!
>
> And there are far more of those than I wish to admit (consider the
> existence of gentoo ;)).

I understand but unless we have feedback from actual users we can't know
which issues need X notice and which need 10X notice.  We can guess and
right now I think we have enough detail.  If we find we haven't covered
it enough we can always revisit this, even after the final release.