Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm
Date
Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Re: Spinlock backoff algorithm  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> I've got one upstairs (HPPA), and I believe that it's actually a pretty
> common situation in scientifically-oriented workstations from a few
> years back.

Last I checked, scientific workstations aren't exactly a common platform for
PostgreSQL servers.

The question is, for our most common platforms (like AMD and Intel) is the FPU
notably slower/more contended than integer division?  I'd the impression that
it was, but my knowledge of chip architectures is liable to be out of date.

Can we have a hardware geek speak up?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun