Re: reserving space in a rec for future update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: reserving space in a rec for future update
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 11:44:55AM -0500, Mike Charnoky wrote:
> In this usage scenario, doesn't the new HOT (heap only tuples) feature
> of PG8.3 help, in terms of the DB requiring less VACUUM maintenance?

It should, yes.  We'll probably know more once 8.3 is in the field.  For new
work, though, I would certainly suggest trying this on 8.3.  I know that's
the _point_ of the feature.  But if you've already got an application you
need to field today, doing it on a beta is risky.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke