Re: PITR and warm standby setup questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PITR and warm standby setup questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 13 November 2007 00:07, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Mason Hale wrote:
> > After the wal segment file is copied by the restore_command script, is
> > it safe to delete it from my archive?
>
> While I believe you can toss them immediately, you should considering
> keeping those around for a bit regardless as an additional layer of
> disaster recovery resources.  I try to avoid deleting them until a new
> base backup is made, because if you have the last backup and all the
> archived segments it gives you another potential way to rebuild the
> database in case of a large disaster damages both the primary and the
> secondary.  You can never have too many ways to try and recover from such
> a situation.

Actually I'd more strongly recommend you keep around the last 2 segments you
have processed. Coming out of replay mode (for example, during a failover
scenario) the server often has a desire to reread the last file you
processed, and if you dont have it complains.

--
Robert Treat