Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

From: Andrew Sullivan
Subject: Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Gregory Stark, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bernd Helmle, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Alvaro Herrera <-ip.org>, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
      Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
       Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
        Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Greg Smith, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Jon Sime, )

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:42:30PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> While we are right to choke down abuse of implicit casting, it might be a
> good idea to give users stronger warnings and instructions.

I think this is true.  I think it maybe ought to be right at the top of the
notes, and maybe ought to be linked off the announcement of the sort

    Users upgrading from previous releases want to read this <a etc>
    compatibility note</a>

I think maybe how Debian handled the notes about kernel changes in the last
stable release would be a good model.  The point there is, _test well_.
We're doing what we warned you about.

> I'm thinking that we need to warn everyone about:
[&c]

This list seems to miss the main warning needed, which is this in 300 point
bold:

IMPLICIT TYPECASTS HAVE BEEN MOSTLY REMOVED.  TEST YOUR APPLICATION!

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke