Re: "Resurrected" data files - problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: "Resurrected" data files - problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 08 November 2007, "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>
wrote:
> Can you give me a good reason why?
>
> > Try re-reading the instructions on backup in the manual.
>
> I know them well. That is why I ask if this questionable procedure
> could lead to damage.

You cannot backup a live database with a filesystem backup and expect it to
work afterwards, unless you take all the steps required to produce a PITR
base backup.

It's not even "questionable". It's a fundamental misunderstanding of what is
required to backup a database.

--
Peak Oil is now accepted as inevitable, and the debate only becomes as
to when - James Schlesinger, former US Secretary of Energy