Re: Npsql is much faster than ODBC ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Npsql is much faster than ODBC ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Rainer Bauer wrote:
> "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" wrote:
>
> >On Nov 7, 2007 2:40 PM, Rainer Bauer <usenet@munnin.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That's nice to hear. But I respect licences as they are and the ODBCng driver
> >> is licenced under the GPL.
> >That doesn't mean that you're not allowed to use it with commercial
> >applications;  it just means that you need to be happy to provide the
> >source for it on request.
>
> Which is exactly the reason why the LGPL licence was created. So that any
> software can link against  a library without the restrictions of the GPL.

Keep in mind, though, that the ODBC driver is not linked to your app.
It is only loaded on demand at run time, and can be replaced by any
other ODBC driver.   So AFAIU your application is "shielded" from GPL.
IANAL of course.  Saith the GPL:

  These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
  identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
  and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
  themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
  sections when you distribute them as separate works.
  [...]
  In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
  with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
  a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
  the scope of this License.