Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:35:43PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Frankly, what I am seeing is that the minority who don't like the alias
> are "trolling" or making procedural objections in an attempt to prevent
> alias adoption.  Or perhaps my perception is incorrect.

I resent the characterisation.  I am not trying to prevent alias
adoption.  I'm objecting to exactly the same thing I have objected to
all along: shoddy, half-thought changes to the public image of the
project, undertaken with rather less planning and forethought than
even the most trivial feature change to the codebase.  As I've said
before, as far as I'm concerned we can change the name to Postgres or
TiGres or Bob the Wonder Dog; but we need to do it in a planned way,
so that we don't introduce more needless confusion.

But I give up.  If your answer to these arguments is either
declaration of consensus in the face of continued reasoned
objections, or _ad hominem_ attacks on the objectors (you call us
"trolls"), then I can only conclude that you've made up your mind and
you're going to do what you want.  In that case, I may as well not
waste the time to argue against it, because nothing I say will make
any difference.

Regards,

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.